Reminder: Have your say on possible amendments to telecommunications powers
On 26 November 2019, the Commonwealth Government announced proposed amendments to telecommunication carrier powers and immunities laws, which include changes that will allow temporary facilities to be deployed as low-impact facilities.
The amendments are proposed to be included in the Telecommunications (Low-Impact Facilities) Determination 2018 (LIFD) and the Telecommunications Code of Practice 2018 (Code of Practice).
Along with making the necessary changes to implement the temporary facilities amendments, additional changes will be made to:
- clarify the definition of 'radio communications facility' at Item 8, part 1 of the schedule to the LIFD
- amend the definition of 'original facility' in the LIFD to refer to the correct schedule
- remove obsolete references to 'Nature Conservation Director' in the Code of Practice
- address recommendations made by the Senate Standing Committee on Regulations and Ordinance to list the relevant standards that carriers are required to comply within the Code of Practice.
Exposure drafts of the proposed amendments are available on the Department of Communications and the Arts’ website.
Making a submission
The LGAQ is currently reviewing the proposed amendments and welcomes member feedback. If you have any concerns regarding the Commonwealth’s proposal, please provide all comments by 16 December 2019 to Crystal Baker, Lead - Planning and Development or Scott Britton, A/Manager - Infrastructure, Economics and Regional Development.
- the online submission form (‘Have Your Say Now’ button) on the Department’s website, or
- email: firstname.lastname@example.org, or
- post to:
Local Government Association of Queensland
LG House, 25 Evelyn Street, Newstead Qld 4006
The list content on this page is updated dynamically as articles are published.