Where is Queensland’s oldest council building?
The first ever purpose built town hall in Queensland was built in Toowoomba in 1862!
It was timber and in 1881 was replaced by a brick building. When the School of Arts burned down in 1898, it was decided new municipal offices and town hall would be built on the site – which incidentally, is the location for the proclamation of Toowoomba as a city. This new town hall was constructed in 1900 and is now a regional art gallery and theatre.
The only town hall that is older is Ipswich, built in 1861, but it was originally built as a School of Arts. Council first began using it as council chambers in 1869. So, it could claim the mantle as the oldest, extant Town Hall. It too now houses an art gallery.
Other honourable mentions include:
North Rockhampton Borough Chambers (1885) - Now home to the Rockhampton and District Historical Society
Gympie Town Hall (1890) - Once again the venue of Gympie Regional Council meetings (since 2009)
Cardwell Divisional Board Hall (1892) - One of the few surviving Divisional Board Halls it was used for shire meetings until 1929. Now a museum.
Noosa Shire Council Chambers (1911) - Council chambers until 1980. Now a museum.
The list content on this page is updated dynamically as articles are published.