banner column

CONCERN OVER FUTURE OF DISASTER FUNDING

News Release

Thursday, 12 May 2016

CONCERN OVER FUTURE OF DISASTER FUNDING

Queensland’s local councils face uncertainty surrounding future funding to help communities recover from natural disasters after revelations in the Federal Budget that the payment of $1 billion of recovery funds to Queensland could be delayed by up to two years.
 
Local Government Association of Queensland President Margaret de Wit said the decision to postpone an expected $1 billion reimbursement to the state for recovery works will hit the confidence of councils wanting to embark on expensive reconstruction.
 
Ms de Wit said the system of Natural Disaster Relief and Recovery Arrangements relied on the certainty that the Federal Government would meet its responsibilities to help fund the cost of recovery.
 
“Councils are at the frontline of ensuring local communities and regional economies can get back on their feet as soon as possible after disaster strikes,’’ she said.
 
“But if they cannot be certain that the cost of vital reconstruction works is reimbursed, there is a real danger that work will not be done next time a flood or cyclone rips through a community.’’
 
She said she had written to Justice Minister Michael Keenan, who is responsible for NDRRA funding, expressing concern about the ramifications of the Budget decision and urging him to immediately clarify in detail why the recovery funds due for payment had been delayed.
 
“Councils and their communities deserve to know exactly what the facts are,’’ she said.

Local Government Association of Queensland
LG House, 25 Evelyn Street, Newstead Qld 4006


column3